Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Virginia Carver Headed to Cazenovia

When Virginia Carver started applying to colleges last year, “I thought I was looking for a big university, someplace to broaden my interests.” And she was accepted early decision at both UVM and the University of New Hampshire.

Somwhere along the line, though, “I rethought what I was looking for in a college—I decided I wanted someplace small after all.” The beneficiary of that switch in plans is Cazenovia College, a small school set on a lake half an hour west of Syracuse.

“I think it will be the kind of environment I had at the Bridge School and at North Branch,” said Carver. “Where you know your teachers and they know you. There’s only about a thousand undergrads at Cazenovia.”

One draw was the college’s equine business program, based out of a s a 243-acre horse farm located less than five miles from the main campus , where the college maintains a herd of 72 horses, from thoroughbreds to quarter horses. The school also ranks nationally in equestrian competitions.

“My interest in running a breeding barn or a training barn or something one day,” says Carver. “This seemed like the right place.”

No comments: